I have never had much experience with podcasts but after listening to a view samples I really believe they are great for students to use in the classroom. They allow students to experience a new kind of technology while also practicing their speaking and reading skills that will help them later in life. The children in the podcasts I listened to seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves and it appears to be a good alternative to the monotony of bookwork and written assignments. Also, the podcasts have been well received by parents as well as administrators and kids love to receive feedback from all over the world via the world wide web. I personally am eager to utilize this technology in my classroom one day because I believe it is truly beneficial for students and helps them become more tech savvy in an ever increasing technology-dependent world.
Podcasting seems to be a fun and interactive way for students to learn about the material being studied as well as a variety of other important skills such as reading, writing, planning, and teamwork. It serves as a good alternative to lectures and busy work, which can often be boring for young students. Teachers can use the podcasts their students have created in future lessons and can improve them each year. Podcasting is another resource for teachers and students and, like many other technologies, should be used in collaboration with other teaching methods. - Nadia Khosrowdad
I was skeptical about podcasts at first, but now I am pretty excited to use them in my future classroom. I especially liked how they aren't expensive--just $29 for the headphones and a school computer/server can be used. Podcasts seem like a great way to motivate students to pay attention and really learn material, so they can teach it to other classmates and future students. I definitely think elementary students would enjoy this incentive, and podcasts seem like a great way to make learning more fun! However, I do think a schoolwide faculty meeting explaining how to use podcasts/set them up would be beneficial-although there are many resources on the web, putting everyone on the same page would be a good idea. --Katie Gurecki
Podcasts are a great new medium for presenting information; both from the teacher's and the student's end of the educational experience. Instead of always making posters or powerpoints to present what students have learned during a unit, they can now make their own radio shows about their topics. Something that I would like to explore through podcasts is the journalism side of podcasting. Along with having a school newspaper you can have a school podcast that the entire district could access. My biggest fear with podcasts is that they too can be an abused form of technology in the classroom very much in the same way that powerpoints have become in some classrooms. If you give students the option for making a project presentation through a podcast, you run the risk of having a student disregard important research methods that would be included with more text based projects; such as citations, images or proper written grammar and mechanics. Podcasts will be able to carve their place in the curriculum, but educators should be careful not to abuse them.
Although I had never heard of a podcast before or seen them used in a classroom setting, I was immediately intrigued by the concept. Podcasts provide students with an opportunity to present information in a new and innovative manner and allow students to access technology in a meaningful way. They offer a unique alternative to the monotonous written reports and Powerpoint presentations and also help students with their writing, reading, oral speaking, fluency and collaboration skills. The podcasts can also help build confidence in students, as well. Students are motivated and enthusiastic about their work and are proud to share their product with their family, other students and the world on iTunes.
The excitement generated by podcasts at Willowdale elementary is a great testament to what an exciting addition a podcast can be to any lesson! Because they have to speak about the material out loud (and know their teachers, peers and parents will be listening) students must really think about and engage in the material. Additionally, not only do students find this activity fun and creative, but it gives them something to share with their parents at home. Learning does not stop when students exit the classroom and podcasts really reinforce that idea. Podcasts are a great way to introduce students to the constantly evolving world of modern technology.
I think podcasting is a great way to provide an alternative medium for students to produce finished work. Oral presentations are highly valuable products for students to create, but often the finished product is seen and heard just once, then lost forever. Through podcasting, not only can an oral presentation be preserved and reviewed, it can be published so that others may listen to it. I would imagine that this authenticity and real-world utility, in addition to the fun of using technology, would only increase students' motivation to create a quality product.
As others have said, I think the benefits of the podcasts are that they provide an alternative format for producing finished work, provide great practice for essential literacy skills such as research, writing, editing, and oral presentation, and do all of this within the context of an authentic audience. Furthermore, recordings can be used in the current class to review material, or in future classes to introduce a unit; podcasts could even be created to teach material to students in another class or another grade. While there's a great deal to be gained from student-created podcasts, I also see a benefit to teacher-created podcasts in younger grades. For instance, a teacher could "release" a book or two each week as a podcast, reading a favorite story aloud so that students can listen to the narration while following along in the pages. Obviously podcasts aren't the appropriate conclusion to all lessons, but they are a useful tool in the modern classroom.
I think podcasts has more pros than cons, simply because it allows students to experience technology in a different manner. It's a fun way to complete work and allows them to explore various ways to research and present their ideas in a fluid manner. It not only allows the students to improve their technological skills, but allows them to practice oral presentation without the fear of an audience watching their every move.
When starting podcasting I would have thought that it would be too much trouble to use with elementary school students. After listening to some podcasts on WillowWeb and listening to the creator talk about it I now think it could be a useful teaching tool. As Tony Vincent said it makes students excited about learning and teaching content to other children. They go into a unit excited about making a project at the end, and by presenting the material in a way that teaches other children they are really learning the material without even realizing it. The technology isn't too difficult either, it would definitely be manageable for me to use as a teacher with younger students.
When Podcasting was first introduced in class I jumped to the conclusion that it would not be a very efficient activity, one that would cause too much chaos in the classroom without enhancing the lesson. After listening to examples of some podcasts created by the elementary school students, I realized that podcasts can be a great addition to the lesson. The activity requires students to work together in groups, write scripts, and make revisions on their scripts. Students also have the opportunity to practice their public speaking skills in a comfortable environment.
I believe that the Podcasts that we listened to were very helpful. I did not previously understand the what the exact purpose of podcast were. I think that listening to podcast can be very helpful in educating students but I feel it also may be more beneficial for students to created the podcast. I think that Podcast have the potential to be very beneficial to students. They can help students teach other students topics, they help students learn how to be a leader or a follower, as well as be a member of the group. I believe that creating Podcast also help students to learn computer, and technology skills that will be beneficial to them as they continue in their education and future careers. I think that Podcasting can be time consuming, and there are multiple issues that must be addressed and worked out before introducing the assignment to the students. I believe that this tool can keep students interested and excited about their learning. It also gives them agency because they are able to control some of their learning. I believe that a Podcast would be beneficial in my classroom. Also, I was able to vounteer for the DITL program on March 30 and one of the students shared her Podcast with me and told me a lot about the way they use Podcast in her classroom. She was very happy and entergetic to show me what she had done and the content that she had covered in her Podcast. This made me realize that this tool has the potential to be VERY useful in the classroom.
Podcasting is a fantastic tool to use in the classroom. I had never used podcasting before, but when I did for the first time last week I thought I wanted to use it more and more. The generation we will be teaching will be constantly looking for more interactive ways to learn. Podcasting is a great place to start. Though it may cause mayhem in the classroom, once the children are able to settle down the end results will be great. Podcasts allow students to work together and create scripts and revise them over and over. This tool should be implemented more in the classroom in the future because it appeals to all.
One thing I really like about podcasting is that you can listen to the podcast whenever you want-something he addressed jokingly in his podcast. It really is beneficial though, imagine how it could help absent students. If someone was going to miss school for an extended period of time due to an illness, the class and teacher could put together a podcast to help the student keep up with his/her work. I also think its a great way to get students interested in what they're learning and really allow them to take ownership of their work. They will really learn how the effort they put in reflects the quality of the finished product.
Podcasting is a great way to bring technology into the classroom without losing the importance of reading and writing. It also gives children more ownership in their work. Students probably take more pride in what they produce since it is eventually broadcasted on line. This is motivational and rewarding. Podcasts are a great way to connect the school to the outside community. For those parents who have demanding jobs and rarely visit their child's classroom, this is a great way for them to see what their son or daughter has been up to. -Olivia
I found the teaching with technology podcast to be especially interesting and relevant because I plan to teach elementary school, and it is clear to me now how well this kind of technology can fit into an elementary school curriculum. As some other people have commented, when we first discussed podcasts, I felt that this would be more appropriate for middle or high schoolers. However, I now see how easily podcasting can enhance school for younger students. I think that one of the best ways for teachers to make school exciting for students is to make it relevant to them. With the increasing popularity of MP3 players such as iPods, having students create their own MP3 files about content being covered in class seems like it would be well worth the time.
I have never had much experience with podcasts but after listening to a view samples I really believe they are great for students to use in the classroom. They allow students to experience a new kind of technology while also practicing their speaking and reading skills that will help them later in life. The children in the podcasts I listened to seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves and it appears to be a good alternative to the monotony of bookwork and written assignments. Also, the podcasts have been well received by parents as well as administrators and kids love to receive feedback from all over the world via the world wide web. I personally am eager to utilize this technology in my classroom one day because I believe it is truly beneficial for students and helps them become more tech savvy in an ever increasing technology-dependent world.
ReplyDeletePodcasting seems to be a fun and interactive way for students to learn about the material being studied as well as a variety of other important skills such as reading, writing, planning, and teamwork. It serves as a good alternative to lectures and busy work, which can often be boring for young students. Teachers can use the podcasts their students have created in future lessons and can improve them each year. Podcasting is another resource for teachers and students and, like many other technologies, should be used in collaboration with other teaching methods.
ReplyDelete- Nadia Khosrowdad
I was skeptical about podcasts at first, but now I am pretty excited to use them in my future classroom. I especially liked how they aren't expensive--just $29 for the headphones and a school computer/server can be used. Podcasts seem like a great way to motivate students to pay attention and really learn material, so they can teach it to other classmates and future students. I definitely think elementary students would enjoy this incentive, and podcasts seem like a great way to make learning more fun! However, I do think a schoolwide faculty meeting explaining how to use podcasts/set them up would be beneficial-although there are many resources on the web, putting everyone on the same page would be a good idea.
ReplyDelete--Katie Gurecki
Podcasts are a great new medium for presenting information; both from the teacher's and the student's end of the educational experience. Instead of always making posters or powerpoints to present what students have learned during a unit, they can now make their own radio shows about their topics. Something that I would like to explore through podcasts is the journalism side of podcasting. Along with having a school newspaper you can have a school podcast that the entire district could access. My biggest fear with podcasts is that they too can be an abused form of technology in the classroom very much in the same way that powerpoints have become in some classrooms. If you give students the option for making a project presentation through a podcast, you run the risk of having a student disregard important research methods that would be included with more text based projects; such as citations, images or proper written grammar and mechanics. Podcasts will be able to carve their place in the curriculum, but educators should be careful not to abuse them.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I had never heard of a podcast before or seen them used in a classroom setting, I was immediately intrigued by the concept. Podcasts provide students with an opportunity to present information in a new and innovative manner and allow students to access technology in a meaningful way. They offer a unique alternative to the monotonous written reports and Powerpoint presentations and also help students with their writing, reading, oral speaking, fluency and collaboration skills. The podcasts can also help build confidence in students, as well. Students are motivated and enthusiastic about their work and are proud to share their product with their family, other students and the world on iTunes.
ReplyDeleteThe excitement generated by podcasts at Willowdale elementary is a great testament to what an exciting addition a podcast can be to any lesson! Because they have to speak about the material out loud (and know their teachers, peers and parents will be listening) students must really think about and engage in the material. Additionally, not only do students find this activity fun and creative, but it gives them something to share with their parents at home. Learning does not stop when students exit the classroom and podcasts really reinforce that idea. Podcasts are a great way to introduce students to the constantly evolving world of modern technology.
ReplyDeleteI think podcasting is a great way to provide an alternative medium for students to produce finished work. Oral presentations are highly valuable products for students to create, but often the finished product is seen and heard just once, then lost forever. Through podcasting, not only can an oral presentation be preserved and reviewed, it can be published so that others may listen to it. I would imagine that this authenticity and real-world utility, in addition to the fun of using technology, would only increase students' motivation to create a quality product.
ReplyDeleteAs others have said, I think the benefits of the podcasts are that they provide an alternative format for producing finished work, provide great practice for essential literacy skills such as research, writing, editing, and oral presentation, and do all of this within the context of an authentic audience. Furthermore, recordings can be used in the current class to review material, or in future classes to introduce a unit; podcasts could even be created to teach material to students in another class or another grade. While there's a great deal to be gained from student-created podcasts, I also see a benefit to teacher-created podcasts in younger grades. For instance, a teacher could "release" a book or two each week as a podcast, reading a favorite story aloud so that students can listen to the narration while following along in the pages. Obviously podcasts aren't the appropriate conclusion to all lessons, but they are a useful tool in the modern classroom.
ReplyDeleteI think podcasts has more pros than cons, simply because it allows students to experience technology in a different manner. It's a fun way to complete work and allows them to explore various ways to research and present their ideas in a fluid manner. It not only allows the students to improve their technological skills, but allows them to practice oral presentation without the fear of an audience watching their every move.
ReplyDeleteWhen starting podcasting I would have thought that it would be too much trouble to use with elementary school students. After listening to some podcasts on WillowWeb and listening to the creator talk about it I now think it could be a useful teaching tool. As Tony Vincent said it makes students excited about learning and teaching content to other children. They go into a unit excited about making a project at the end, and by presenting the material in a way that teaches other children they are really learning the material without even realizing it. The technology isn't too difficult either, it would definitely be manageable for me to use as a teacher with younger students.
ReplyDeleteWhen Podcasting was first introduced in class I jumped to the conclusion that it would not be a very efficient activity, one that would cause too much chaos in the classroom without enhancing the lesson. After listening to examples of some podcasts created by the elementary school students, I realized that podcasts can be a great addition to the lesson. The activity requires students to work together in groups, write scripts, and make revisions on their scripts. Students also have the opportunity to practice their public speaking skills in a comfortable environment.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the Podcasts that we listened to were very helpful. I did not previously understand the what the exact purpose of podcast were. I think that listening to podcast can be very helpful in educating students but I feel it also may be more beneficial for students to created the podcast. I think that Podcast have the potential to be very beneficial to students. They can help students teach other students topics, they help students learn how to be a leader or a follower, as well as be a member of the group. I believe that creating Podcast also help students to learn computer, and technology skills that will be beneficial to them as they continue in their education and future careers. I think that Podcasting can be time consuming, and there are multiple issues that must be addressed and worked out before introducing the assignment to the students. I believe that this tool can keep students interested and excited about their learning. It also gives them agency because they are able to control some of their learning. I believe that a Podcast would be beneficial in my classroom. Also, I was able to vounteer for the DITL program on March 30 and one of the students shared her Podcast with me and told me a lot about the way they use Podcast in her classroom. She was very happy and entergetic to show me what she had done and the content that she had covered in her Podcast. This made me realize that this tool has the potential to be VERY useful in the classroom.
ReplyDeletePodcasting is a fantastic tool to use in the classroom. I had never used podcasting before, but when I did for the first time last week I thought I wanted to use it more and more. The generation we will be teaching will be constantly looking for more interactive ways to learn. Podcasting is a great place to start. Though it may cause mayhem in the classroom, once the children are able to settle down the end results will be great. Podcasts allow students to work together and create scripts and revise them over and over. This tool should be implemented more in the classroom in the future because it appeals to all.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I really like about podcasting is that you can listen to the podcast whenever you want-something he addressed jokingly in his podcast. It really is beneficial though, imagine how it could help absent students. If someone was going to miss school for an extended period of time due to an illness, the class and teacher could put together a podcast to help the student keep up with his/her work.
ReplyDeleteI also think its a great way to get students interested in what they're learning and really allow them to take ownership of their work. They will really learn how the effort they put in reflects the quality of the finished product.
Podcasting is a great way to bring technology into the classroom without losing the importance of reading and writing. It also gives children more ownership in their work. Students probably take more pride in what they produce since it is eventually broadcasted on line. This is motivational and rewarding. Podcasts are a great way to connect the school to the outside community. For those parents who have demanding jobs and rarely visit their child's classroom, this is a great way for them to see what their son or daughter has been up to. -Olivia
ReplyDeleteI found the teaching with technology podcast to be especially interesting and relevant because I plan to teach elementary school, and it is clear to me now how well this kind of technology can fit into an elementary school curriculum. As some other people have commented, when we first discussed podcasts, I felt that this would be more appropriate for middle or high schoolers. However, I now see how easily podcasting can enhance school for younger students. I think that one of the best ways for teachers to make school exciting for students is to make it relevant to them. With the increasing popularity of MP3 players such as iPods, having students create their own MP3 files about content being covered in class seems like it would be well worth the time.
ReplyDelete