Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fair Use and Copyright

17 comments:

  1. All this information about fair use is a little intimidating. I'm glad to have all the information before I start teaching, but its pretty overwhelming to think of all the times I have personally broken fair use and how many times I've seen teachers do the same. I liked that the article gave lots of advice on how to avoid breaking fair use so that I can be sure to avoid problems in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I take away from this article is the importance of teaching attribution and citation of electronic sources just as we used to teach citation of encyclopedia articles. In addition, by making sure we document the sources we use in our classroom materials we model respectful (and legal) use of other's creative works. Modeling this behavior should present natural opportunities during the school year to discuss fair use of electronic media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, who knew that there was this much information and this many rules about fair use. It is a complete hassel. I believe the article was very informative. I had never heard of the open photo site, or that you could get material from the National Archives Website that is now part of the public domain before this article and class on Tuesday. I feel like fair use also can be very deceiving becaue a lot of it depends on the situation or the answer to the "four questions." I do beleive that you should not be able to claim anothers work as your own but some of the rules are too much. They seem to just make things difficult. I feel like we seek out pictures and other material because the artist, designer, singer, or writer who created it did it better. So, I have come to the conclusion that I will jsut site my sources and have my students do the same so that credit is given where it is due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised and a little dismayed that I have never heard about this topic prior to this class. I clearly remember some of my teachers using material in the classroom that would be deemed illegal according to the rules of fair use. I also remember using pictures and media in various projects of mine without thinking anything of it. I'm glad I am being exposed to this subject now before I actually begin teaching. That way, I can effectively prepare my students and keep myself out of any legal trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I was well aware of the fact that digital images and copyright laws existed, I never knew how complicated they can turn out to be. In a sense, this frightens me because any material that I use as a teacher can be a violation of these laws. However, after reading this article, it’s surprising to see that these rights were violated on a daily basis by my high school teachers and even some of the professors I’ve had here at UVA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found it interesting the article stresses the importance of Fair Use and constantly sourcing the author/website, but then tells you how to cut and paste a google image after you do a search. It seems a bit odd given the serious tone of the main body of text. I plan on encouraging my students to try and always use their own writing and pictures. In cases where they cannot do this, I will probably make it mandatory to source all outside information and images since I'm paranoid about Fair Use. I'm suprised I haven't heard more about this issue. -Olivia Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am slightly overwhelmed by the information we received and the article about Fair Use. I had not really heard about Fair Use before, and am a little nervous about using images now. The article clarified some aspects of Fair Use, especially with the general rules of thumb it gave.--Amy Hannon

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can honestly say I had no idea about any of these copyright laws until last class and this article. This really surprises me, and I wonder if my teachers throughout high school and middle school were aware of these lawss as well. If they aren't informed they need to be--but at the same time, it seems these laws really aren't enforced unless they are reported (which seems to rarely happen). Basically, I think these laws need to be simplified and widely distributed if their creaters want them to be actively enforced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was familiar with the existence of copyright laws and the potential dangers of extreme violations; however, I had no idea of the extent to which Fair Use laws apply. I have found myself second-guessing my past projects and paranoid about my future use of outside sources. I have even caught two of my professors violating Fair Use laws since last week's class. I plan on consulting this article if I have any questions or uncertainties regarding Fair Use and informing my future students about the importance of using electronic media fairly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been aware of this issue for a few years, but I had not considered how much the digital age has exacerbated and confused the issue. This article will definitely be a good reference and ought to be required reading for all current teachers as well. The Fair Use standards make a certain amount of sense, as do the efforts of Creative Commons and Amico. Some middle ground must be made available while preserving intellectual property and copyrights, and education seems the noblest reason imaginable to find and establish that middle ground.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that this has become a large issue thanks in large part to the internet and easy access to materials, but the Fair Use laws cover much more than I realized. It is important to be aware of these laws as a teacher and inform students about this issue when they are completing projects. This article was very informative about general precautions to take when using media in the classroom and can be used a valuable resource.
    ~Sarah Will

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is nice to know that no matter how difficult that copyright laws make it to properly use other author's work, there are organizations and search engines that are working to make it easier to find images and clips that are legal to use in new works. I is especially nice to know that some of these search engines have students in mind and do not display inappropriate images. As educators we should consider presenting these sites to our students so that they will learn good researching skills from the beginning; starting with an introduction in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not realize how strict the fair use laws can be and, in my experience, I can think of many of my own teachers and professors who have used materials that were considered violations of the fair use laws. It is important, as a teacher, to keep these copyright laws in mind and it also the responsibility of teachers and administrators to educate their students about the proper use of materials. Although I have some background knowledge on the copyright standards, I did not realize how complicated of an issue it can be, especially in the classroom.
    - Nadia Khosrowdad

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ever since class last week, I had been amazed at the fair use and copyright laws. Its crazy to think about all the times teachers have neglected these policies. The times I can think of the most are when a class watches a movie instead of something else. Though I can understand why, now, this may be a breach of the fair use policies, it baffles me to know how often this goes under the radar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Before last week I had some far-off idea that there were rules about taking media from the internet and other locations but I had no idea how specific and strict the fair-use law was. I am very glad I am now aware of the law through last week's class as well as the article we read this week. I honestly do not think that many practicing teachers are fully aware how strict this law is, and I believe that there should be some sort of county initiatives to educate teachers about fair-use. This article was really helpful in breaking down the law in a way that I could understand and clarifying points I was confused on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems very important that teachers are exposed to information regarding digital images and copyright, because I would guess that the majority of teachers are not aware of the importance of this. I know I wasn't! For years I have used images downloaded from Google image searches and haven't thought twice about doing so. Some images are water marked to prevent use; however, most are not, and I was always under the impression that this meant they could be used however one pleased. There seems to be an emphasis in education on citing the authors of text sources, but throughout my education, I have rarely been told to provide citation for images. It does make sense, however, and I will take this to heart from now on, and make sure that my future students do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The issue of fair use and copyright is a scary one---for students and teachers alike! While it is essential for teachers to teach their students to accurately site sources and understand when they are using something that does not belong to them, this implies that teachers understand all of the rules themselves. I know that for me personally, I have much to learn! The internet makes it so easy to have access to thousands of images and ideas and it often becomes difficult to discern where your own ideas end and the ideas of others begin. The issue of fair use is one that teachers should make a point to educate themselves about from the very beginning so they can accurately and efficiently describe it to students.

    ReplyDelete