Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Technology is no Panacea" and TPCK

16 comments:

  1. Whitney Hinnant- I believe that the issues addressed in the article are very pertinent to the state of education in the United States. I believe that technology is an assest when used to broaden students access to educational information and add to their toolbox of strategies, methods, and skiills. It would be a lie and a diservice to say that we are preparing students to succeed in society and the world and not give them the tools to help them do so. It is imperative that we show students how to use technology to benefit them so that they can be advocates for their own learning. Many of the technologies that students have knowledge of can be utilized in academia and with further study of these technologies we will better be able to implement them in our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with the "Technology is no Panacea" article. I am excited to use technology in my classroom as long as it is being used to enhance my lessons, and not just because it is available. I think too often people rely on technology and then are at a loss when it doesn't work properly. For example, I worked as a substitute ESL teacher over winter break and one day when I was assisting in a classroom, the Promethean Board quit working. The teacher was at a complete loss as to what to do next because her entire lesson required the board. The students lost a lot of valuable instructional time-the exact kind of situation I want to avoid as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly see both sides of the argument. Advocates for technology use in the classroom argue that it allows students to access information in a manner that has more pros than cons. Utilizing technology to obtain academic information helps students to 1) gain more experience with technology and 2) gain information in a way that is different than just going to the library and photocopying a page from the book. On the other hand, educators who are against the use of technology in the classroom say that the students come to rely on technology and once something stops functioning, there is a sense of panic and helplessness. That is why I think it is extremely important to incorporate the right amount of technology use in a curriculum while demonstrating to the students that technology is not the only way to excel academically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe technology should be an integral part of each and every classroom. In our modern world, technology is an extremely important part of life. It is impossible to get through a day without using some form of it (i.e. I'm typing this up on my laptop). Students should be exposed to any and all forms of technology from an early age. No, it shouldn't be the sole focus of classroom learning and shouldn't be students' only way of learning but it should be a large part simply because the 21st century demands it.
    ~Laura Keith~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that technology can serve as a very useful tool in the classroom but it is important for teachers to incorporate technology with other forms of teaching as well. They should not rely solely on technology to fulfill their goals as teachers. I thought that it was also important to note that students come from a wide array of different backgrounds and some do not have as much experience with computers as others. It is important for educators to consider this when they choose to incorporate technology in their lessons.
    - Nadia Khosrowdad

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also recognize the importance of using technology in the classrooms because not only will using technology enhance certain aspects of the lesson but it will also help lay the foundations for students to gain experience in working with technology. Teachers do need to recognize that their students may lack experience working with computers, be a computer expert, or fall anywhere in between. It is important for teachers to be sensitive to this issue and adjust lesson plans accordingly if necessary. Technology opens up many opportunities for teachers to present material in more effective ways or to find materials needed for lessons, but technology can never replace the teacher or the classroom.
    ~Sarah Will

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with the "Technology is no Pancaea" article. Technology is definitely an opportunity teachers should take advantage of, but they should also be careful to use it appropriately. I thought the article brought up an important point when it mentioned the uneven distribution of access to technology among students. Teachers need to realize some of their students will not be on the same level as others, and must be prepared to help students who do not have high, if any, technological backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Palmquist, I agree that the use of technology in the classroom can provide a valuable set of instructional tools and an enriching learning experience for students. Technology is an important part of our daily lives and I am grateful for the educational opportunities it provides. While I hope to incorporate technology into my own classroom, I remain cautious about its role in my lessons. I believe that technology must be used wisely, sporadically and only to enhance our lessons-- not as a substitute for actually teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In addition to you all, I agree with the article that we should take advantage of technology in school if your classroom is equipped to do so. As our society becomes increasingly dependent on computers (especially the internet), it is important for students to gain early exposure to the proper and safe use of these tools. I am amazed at how willingly kids are to post personal information on the web. Perhaps with proper technology education, this will happen less. Early education will also help students in future education and career plans, as our daily life will become more and more controlled by technology. -Olivia Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  10. The idea that some children seem born with a "silver mouse" in their hands resonated with me. I am amazed by the comfort that many preschool and elementary school children in upper income communities show with technology; these children are likely to have a significant advantage over peers who lack the same exposure to new technologies. Because of the increasing importance of technology in professional life, I see one of the new goals of education as lessening this digital divide by making sure that all children feel comfortable using technology. - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the author of the article brings up a point that not too many students have touched upon just yet; he cautions educators about technology as well as endorses it. Yes, technology should be used in the classroom setting to enhance the learning experience for students, but I also think that technology should not be overused. Technological fluency is key: as educators, we want to come off as knowing how to use technology naturally and fluently to show students how it is a part of everyday life. It is impossible to use technology in some circumstances that come up in a classroom and no one should force the inclusion of technology in these circumstances. I want to become fluent enough in the educational technology so that I can model a natural and appropriate way to use it for my students, not to overuse it to the point that the students are bored or even worse, uncomfortable with it.
    -Mary Rainis

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wholeheartedly agree with the general thrust of Palmquist's essay; technology is simultaneously an enormous resource and a problematic element in education. I agree that in the educational world, technology is too often considered "a tool" for research, while being ignored as the medium for completed work. I am interested to see that this course (EDLF 345) seems to be structured as Palmquist suggests, with work actually being completed and submitted online. Teachers must learn to "walk the walk" in this manner - many of our students will no doubt be more skilled with technology than we are, while others from less privileged backgrounds will suffer from underexposure, as Palmquist notes. We should be taking courses like this, so that we can learn not only how to use varying facets of technology as useful tools, but also how to use technology as a method of assessment, record-keeping, publishing, and for many other purposes in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is refreshing to hear a self proclaimed "avid proponent of educational technology" who doesn't claim that technology is the answer to all classroom problems. I agree with several of his statements in that technology must be properly used and used well or it is a waste of resource--what good is a smartboard in every classroom if teachers don't know how to use them, teachers are still responsible for teaching, not technology. I also agreed with one of his final statments that teachers must be aware of their students technological backgrounds, that some students have been around computers and other technology since birth but others don't have a computer available to them except at school. I do agree that technology opens up new opportunities, but everything in education does not need to be changed because of technology, students still need to know how to write an actual written "essay" even if "essays" now can be in video or audio format. --Amy Hannon

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Palmquist article made me reflect upon my own experiences with technology throughout my grade school years. My school always emphasized the use of computer technology in classrooms because it was relevant to the ever-evolving world. The school's leaders recognized that in order to find a place in the corporate world one day, we would need to have at least the basic skills required to operate and understand computers. I believe this practical approach to be the most effective one in regards to educational technology. What upsets me is situations such as the one I encountered in my little cousin's kindergarten classroom. The teacher had shown the young students how to play a certain computer game and on days when she did not feel like going outside, she had the youngsters sitting at the computer screens instead! This is an example of misusing technology in the classroom and is exactly what I think teachers need to avoid. There is a fine line between practicality and laziness. Whatever tools a teacher uses in her classroom should help the student grow and learn at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree entirely with Palmquist's perspectives on educational technology. His last paragraph, in which he noted that technology can be both a good and bad thing, especially resonated with me. Technology can make learning better or worse, depending on how well you research and implement it. Similarly, a classroom should not be void of technology, but should not constantly depend on it either. I think that technology, when thoughtfully included in a curriculum, can only enhance the learning experience. As Palmquist noted, however, it takes time and effort to integrate technology in the classroom. It is not always a quick, easy fix.

    - Emily Clausen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Palmquist makes many very good arguments in his article about the use of technology in the classroom. One idea that I hadn't given much though to before is how teachers must be aware of the differences in children's technological abilities in school and to not let them be disadvantaged because they may not know how to access the internet or have other basic skills we assume they posess. His article also goes well with the TCPK wiki when he argues that technology can be good or bad, I believe the 2nd article clearly demonstrates a way in which when mastered, technology can be used so that it is very beneficial in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete